Wednesday, December 26

Lift Your Razors High/Here is the Cure

Since my boyfriend is banned from my parent's house for reasons that are quite silly now, Jonathan and I spent our Christmas seeing movies. My choice was Sweeney Todd, because I fancy musicals. His choice was I Am Legend, because he is a man.

Sweeney Todd: Point of the movie (at least in my eyes): all men kill the thing they love. It makes me think of the poem "The Reading Gaol" by Oscar Wilde. I am a fan of the play. I have the original soundtrack. Sweeney Todd is one of my favorites though I just gave a poor synopsis. My only problem was (and it surprised me that I only had one problem with the movie because I do not care for Tim Burton nor do I care for Helena Boham Carter) the fact that Johnny Depp and Helena Boham Carter (Sweeney Todd and Mrs. Lovett) had no vocal range. They both could only sing at one pitch. It made me laugh because the first Depp-less song in the movie done by Johanna was sang beautiful. Johanna, the Sailor boy, and Toby had great voices. They sang the way a song, especially a song in a musical that needs such amazing ranges, need to be sung. It made Depp and Boham Carter sound even more lackluster. Otherwise, I really enjoyed the movie. I would go see it again, but only as a matinée.

I Am Legend: I went into the movie expecting bs. I like Will Smith, to a degree. He is only exciting and great if you do not seem the majority of his movies. I say this because all of his movies tend to be "end of the world" apocalyptic themed. I had also heard fifty-fifty reviews on the movie. I really like the movie though. The movie is, of course, an "end of the world" type of movie. Someone tries to cure cancer and because of it there is a mass breakout of some sort of disease that makes people turn into vampire-like creatures. Almost the whole world catches the disease because it is both airborne and caused by being bitten. Turns out Will Smith is an expert on it. He says in Manhattan, where the infection started, and tries to figure out a cure. World basically ends. He is all by himself, except the dog his daughter tells him to have (for safety). I cried. I was frightened. I wanted to know what was going to happen next. I was also surprised at how well-built Will Smith was; they show him doing chin-ups in this one scene. Anyway, point is: if you do not mind paying for a ticket this movie should be in your top three "i-want-to-see" list. I was definitely not pissed for using the last of my Regal gift cards on this one.


Now sorry if these reviews were a tad rudimentary but it is my first time putting down a "review" of any sorts.

6 comments:

Moooooog35 said...

Sweeney Todd was my first-ever musical to see at a theater.

Was awesome.

Nothing says "good theater" than pies made from people.

Commissioner said...

"I am legend" would have been a lot better if they would have explained more of his past stuggles and less on those zombie guys trying to kill him.

HeatherrrEloise said...

Sweeney Todd was my third musical movie.
Old Hairspray, new Hairspray & now Sweeney Todd.
:]peoplepies. lol.


I agree Frederick.
I did enjoy the zombie-ness of it,
but I wish I knew more.
Like what was the Time magazine
saying "Savior?" about?
What did he do?
Did he cause the disease?
Or did the lady trying to cure cancer cause it?
I liked the movie but I wanted more.
It could have been a little longer.

jeff said...

I read I am Legend about 9 months ago without knowing at all about the making of the movie. It was a random accident that I came upon the book. I thought it was good but not good enough to become a movie, however the movie is very different from the book. I would explain some thing but perhaps some would like to read the book. Frederick, the book goes into detail about everything so I recommend it.

Queenie said...

Always read the book.

Q

Arielle Fragassi said...

I liked both movies, they were the best out of the four movies I went and saw this past week. Walk Hard was kind of stupid. I expected a lot more from it. I liked National Treasure though, but not as much as Sweeney Todd and I am Legend. I need to pick up the book for I am Legend, since I hear it's good.

I also want to see Juno and There Will be Blood, but unfortunately, neither are showing near me. :(